The Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention on Friday launched new data in regards to the omicron variant of COVID-19 primarily based on 43 cases in the USA. Whereas the pattern is small and it’s nonetheless too early to inform how the variant will behave—the extent to which it is going to evade vaccine safety, unfold extra quickly, or outcompete the delta variant—the information provides an early glimpse on the latest variant of concern, as designated by the World Well being Group (WHO) on November 24. Listed here are among the key findings:
Table of Contents
Cases, demographics, particulars
The report appears to be like at particulars from 43 identified omicron cases in the USA, with the primary symptom being reported on November 15.
Of these 43 cases:
- 25 had been individuals between 18-39
- 10 had been individuals between 40-64
- 14 reported touring internationally inside 14 days earlier than signs or a optimistic take a look at end result
- 34 had been totally vaccinated
- 14 acquired a booster (5 of these acquired a booster lower than 14 days earlier than symptom onset
- 9 had been unvaccinated
- 6 individuals had been beforehand contaminated with COVID-19
- 1 particular person was hospitalized (for 2 days)
- 0 individuals have died
The place and the way is it spreading?
The CDC report was primarily based on follow-up on cases reported between December 1 – December 8 in 22 states. The company’s investigations revealed transmission related to massive occasions, worldwide journey, and households.
What signs are being reported?
In line with the report, 40 of the 43 individuals developed signs. These had been the commonest:
- Cough (89%)
- Fatigue (65%)
- Congestion or runny nostril (59%)
- Fever (38%)
- Nausea or vomiting (22%)
- Shortness of breath / problem respiratory (16%)
- Diarrhea (11%)
- Lack of style / odor (8%)
Observe that this small pattern shouldn’t be learn as consultant of all the inhabitants. Because the CDC factors out, findings within the report could replicate traits of this specific group, greater than half of whom had been below 40 and nearly all of whom had been totally vaccinated. It’s nonetheless too early to inform if omicron cases might be milder on common than different variants over the long run.
Like different variants earlier than it, the emergence and speedy unfold of omicron around the globe has underscored the significance of genetic surveillance. In line with the CDC, 50,000–60,000 optimistic COVID-19 specimens are sequenced every week on common as a part of nationwide surveillance efforts. So we’ll know much more about omicron as extra information is available in.
You’ll be able to try the total report here.